Please disable your Ad Blocker to better interact with this website.

Kentucky Governor Pardoned Man Convicted Of Robbery & Assault – Man Just Got Convicted In First Of 3 Strangulations

Written by:

Published on: December 2, 2022

And this is why pardoning is a serious issue.  While some people may have demonstrated fruits of repentance in certain crimes and should be considered for pardons, those that do not do so as  pattern of their life should never be considered from such a thing.  Yet, Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin pardoned a man who had been convicted of robbery and assault.  Now, that very same pardoned man has just been found guilty in the first of three strangulation cases.

Cameron Knight reports:

CINCINNATI — Since Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin pardoned him in a robbery case in 2019, Joheim Bandy has been charged in three different strangulation cases and has been shot, officials said.

Bandy, 20, was convicted this week in the first case. A Kenton County jury found him guilty of strangulation, domestic violence assault and criminal mischief in connection with incidents that happened in March and April 2022. 

One victim, identified in court documents as the mother of Bandy’s child, told Covington police officers Bandy “pinned her against the wall, placing his hands around her neck, and restricting her ability to breathe,” the complaint states.

Kenton County Commonwealth’s Attorney Rob Sanders said if not for Bevin’s pardon, Bandy would have still been in jail on a prior charge. Bandy was 15 years old in 2017 when he was sentenced to 13 years in prison for robbery and assault, according to court documents. In that case, Bandy shot a man in the chest, Sanders said.Kenton County Commonwealth’s Attorney Rob Sanders said if not for Bevin’s pardon, Bandy would have still been in jail on a prior charge. Bandy was 15 years old in 2017 when he was sentenced to 13 years in prison for robbery and assault, according to court documents. In that case, Bandy shot a man in the chest, Sanders said.

Kenton County Commonwealth’s Attorney Rob Sanders said if not for Bevin’s pardon, Bandy would have still been in jail on a prior charge. Bandy was 15 years old in 2017 when he was sentenced to 13 years in prison for robbery and assault, according to court documents. In that case, Bandy shot a man in the chest, Sanders said.

Bevin’s pardon said Bandy had made “unwise decisions,” but was “turning his life around.”

“The pardon he received was shockingly irresponsible and it nearly cost a 22-year-old mother her life,” Sanders said.

This first strangulation trial lasted two days. Sanders said the jury deliberated for 45 minutes before finding him guilty and took another 5 minutes to recommend a five-year prison sentence. Bandy will be officially sentenced Jan. 31.

Bandy’s second trial is scheduled to begin in February, Sanders said.

“He is alleged to have broken in her house, assaulted her, and strangled her before she shot him with his own gun,” Sanders said. The prosecutor said the woman, who he had been previously been in a relationship with, fired in self-defense. 

The trial in the third case against him has not yet been scheduled.

As my friend Bradlee Dean always says, “Soft judges make hardened criminals.”

Exactly right.

Become an insider!

Sign up to get breaking alerts from Sons of Liberty Media.

Don't forget to like SonsOfLibertyMedia.com on Facebook and Twitter.
The opinions expressed in each article are the opinions of the author alone and do not necessarily reflect those of SonsOfLibertyMedia.com.

Trending on The Sons of Liberty Media

Newsletter SignupStay up to date on the latest news: Sign up for the Sons of Liberty newsletter!

Stay up to date on the latest news: Sign up for the Sons of Liberty newsletter!