Please disable your Ad Blocker to better interact with this website.

NYPD Deputy Police Chief & Detective Found With Self Inflicted Gun Shots Within 24 Hours Of Each Other

Written by:

Published on: June 8, 2019

This is a bizarre thing:  To discover to New York Policemen dead from apparent self-inflicted gunshots within 24 hours of each other.  Yet, this is exactly what took place this week to a NYPD Deputy Police Chief who had just retired and a NYPD detective.

On Wednesday, NYPD Deputy Chief Steven Silks was found shot in a parking lot just blocks from his office in Queens North.

His death was ruled an apparent suicide from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

However, in April, Silks was honored and rewarded for his dedication and service of 39 years to the department.

He had just turned in his retirement papers, and was scheduled to retire at the end of July.

Reportedly, Silks had made several pleas to be promoted to a two-star chief over the past three years.



The New York Post reports:

Steven Silks, the deputy chief of Queens North, was found shot in a parking lot just blocks from his office at the 112th Precinct Station house at about 6:30 p.m., according to law enforcement sources.

The 62-year-old chief was taken to Elmhurst Hospital, where he died.

“It’s terrible he would find himself in that place,” a Queens detective said at the scene. “Say a prayer for his family.”

Another police source told The Post that Silks “absolutely lived for the NYPD.”

“He loved what he did. He was admired and loved by everybody. It’s heartbreaking,” the officer said.

Then, less than 24 hours later, another NYPD officer died as a result of an apparent suicide.

NYPD Detective Joseph Calabrese went missing.  However, after a lengthy search when his car was discovered empty off the Belt Parkway in Plumb Beach in Brooklyn, his body was discovered a short distance from the water.

The New York Post reports:

The body of Joe Calabrese, 58, was found near bushes in Plumb Beach in Brooklyn Thursday afternoon, dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, police sources said.

“I don’t understand it. I don’t understand why he would do this,” said a stunned police officer who knew Calabrese.

The detective, who was assigned to the Brooklyn South homicide squad, was a longtime Detectives Endowment Association board member and union trustee.

Calabrese was last heard from around 2 a.m., after he left Maimonides Medical Center in Borough Park, where his wife had undergone a minor procedure, according to sources.

His black Cadillac sedan was found by another detective near the beach just off the Belt Parkway around 3 a.m., about five minutes from his home, sources said.

Are these actual suicides or is there something lurking just beneath the surface.  I only say that because it is highly unusual for something like this to take place in a 24 hours time span.  What do you think?

H/T Right Wing Tribune

Article posted with permission from Freedom Outpost

Become an insider!

Sign up to get breaking alerts from Sons of Liberty Media.

Don't forget to like on Facebook and Twitter.
The opinions expressed in each article are the opinions of the author alone and do not necessarily reflect those of

Trending on The Sons of Liberty Media

Newsletter SignupStay up to date on the latest news: Sign up for the Sons of Liberty newsletter!

Stay up to date on the latest news: Sign up for the Sons of Liberty newsletter!