Over the last several days, we have seen unprecedented news coverage from the establishment press (“mainstream media”) of stories that evidence not only the detrimental effects of White House policy, but those addressing that which the main stream media wouldn’t have touched mere weeks ago – and which could open the door to a discussion of the Obama administration’s criminality.
On Sept. 20, the New York Times published a piece entitled “Suspicions Run Deep in Iraq That CIA and the Islamic State Are United,” which detailed the belief of government and intelligence sources in Iraq that the Obama administration created ISIS employing the CIA. While this has been reported elsewhere and confirmed via the Jordanian government, Middle Eastern and European press, until now, coverage of this (which amounts to treason on the part of the president and members of his Cabinet, past and present) is very new territory for a mainstream press outlet.
“We know about who made Daesh [ISIS],” said Bahaa al-Araji, a deputy prime minister, using an Arabic shorthand for the Islamic State on Saturday at a demonstration called by the Shiite cleric Moktada al-Sadr to warn against the possible deployment of American ground troops. Mr. Sadr publicly blamed the CIA for creating the Islamic State in a speech last week, and interviews suggested that most of the few thousand people at the demonstration, including dozens of members of Parliament, subscribed to the same theory.
– New York Times, Sept. 20, 2014
Trending: Islam in America’s Schools: The Plan
Last fall we were alerted to the growing annoyance of some press outlets regarding the lack of access to the president provided by the White House compared to previous administrations; one of these organizations was the Associated Press. Last week AP Washington Bureau Chief Sally Buzbee had even more to say. At a joint meeting of the American Society of News Editors, the Associated Press Media Editors and the Associated Press Photo Managers, Buzbee enumerated several profoundly sinister ways the Obama administration is stifling the release of news.
According to Buzbee, these include, but are not limited to:
- Refusing to allow news organizations to shoot photos or video of bombers as they take off en route to supposed Middle East missions against ISIS, and discontinuing the embedding of reporters.
- A blackout of information on Gitmo detainees, upcoming trials and court filings, even involving non-classified materials.
- The intimidation of sources. AP’s transportation reporter’s sources have reported that if they are caught talking to her, they will be fired. Government press officials say their orders are to squelch anything controversial or that makes the administration look bad.
- Lack of cooperation in Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests. [As an aside, the Obama administration corrupted this process as soon as Obama was inaugurated, and began to filter FOIA information, essentially rendering FOIA useless]. Many federal agencies simply don’t respond at all in a timely manner, forcing news organizations to sue each time to force action.
- The administration is reportedly trying to control the information that state and local officials can give out. The FBI has directed local police not to disclose details about surveillance technology the police departments use to sweep up cell phone data, for example.
Police State, anyone?
In addition to the Times and AP disclosures, broadcast media such as CNN and CBS have featured stories featuring the families of slain American journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff, detailing threats and intimidation they endured from the White House and State Department in the months they spent trying to extricate their loved ones from the clutches of ISIS. Recently, interviews with Iraqi survivors of ISIS massacres have also been showcased.
So what has given rise to the proliferation of these “random acts of journalism,” as radio host Rush Limbaugh might opine?
Could it be – discounting those journalists who would remain loyal to Obama if he were filmed handing over our nuclear launch codes to the Iranians on the South Lawn – that the journalistic community has simply tired of being treated like red-headed stepchildren by the administration after having compromised their journalistic integrity for six years to shill for our hip and groovy First Black President?
Or could it be instead that when ISIS militants started sawing the heads off of American journalists and posting the video footage thereof, the administration not only didn’t seem to care, but apparently contributed to the circumstances that ultimately led to their deaths. Perhaps a certain stark reality is coming into focus for American journalists, this being that their profession – and perhaps their very lives – are intended to be casualties of Obama’s “fundamental transformation.”
Perhaps – though it has taken a maddeningly long time – they are beginning to realize that while they were kissing up to this despot, actually perceiving him to be their pal, they were, in fact, being played for the biggest suckers ever born in facilitating the administration’s incomprehensibly diabolical agenda, one that now appears to have included America’s utter economic ruin, devastated standing overseas, betrayal of our allies and emboldening of our enemies, a dangerously compromised national security and dramatically increased vulnerability of our citizens at home and abroad, as well as rendering the press nothing more than a script-wielding propaganda bureau with operatives who are wholly expendable.
A wholesale about-face by the mainstream press might indeed be the speediest route to the removal of this criminal administration, but we’re not there yet. As gratifying as it is to see the press finally reporting stories that represent Obama as something other than messianic, they did aid significantly in facilitating this administration’s crimes.
Become an insider!
Sign up to get breaking alerts from Sons of Liberty Media.