A senior Western official claimed that information gathered at the compound of Abu Sayyaf, the individual responsible for oil smuggling operations on behalf of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) who was killed in a US commando operation a few months ago, points to high-level contacts between Turkish officials and leading ISIL members, the Guardian newspaper in the UK has recently reported.
While they had given voice to some resentment and mild criticism of Turkey’s much-questioned approach against ISIL, until very recently, Western officials had refrained from directly criticizing Turkish decision makers. The recent revelation appears to be the first public criticism of Turkey’s approach and could complicate Ankara’s relations with its Western allies.
Turkey, which entered the fray against ISIL after two years of reluctance to take an active part in the international coalition against the militant group, had faced charges of ignoring, if not openly facilitating, militants’ border crossings to join ISIL in Syria. Ankara’s refutations of such accusations seemingly fall short of convincing its Western allies, and the Guardian report will likely fuel underlying questions about ISIL’s links with Turkey.
“In the wake of the raid that killed Abu Sayyaf, suspicions of an undeclared alliance have hardened,” the Guardian report said.
One senior Western official familiar with the intelligence found at the compound told the Guardian that “direct dealings between Turkish officials and ranking Isis [ISIL] members was now ‘undeniable.'”
The Guardian report continues: “‘There are hundreds of flash drives and documents that were seized there,’ the official told the Observer. ‘They are being analyzed at the moment, but the links are already so clear that they could end up having profound policy implications for the relationship between us and Ankara.'”
With Turkey now striking ISIL targets in Syria after a bomb attack suspected to have been carried out by a militant killed 32 in the southern Turkish town of SuruÃ§ near the Syrian border and the killing of a soldier on the border, Ankara may have earned loud praise and strong support among its Western allies.
But questions and charges of tacit cooperation with the militant group over the past two years will, especially after the discovery of new information at Abu Sayyaf’s compound, overshadow today’s efforts and haunt Ankara’s ties with the West in years to come.
Turkey’s plan to invade its neighboring country of Syria was uncovered last year when a secret recording leaked of the highest officials discussing a plan to launch a military aggression on Syria by using the armed terrorist group Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS). The launched invasion resulted in aggression against the Armenian city of Kessab, in which 80 Armenians were massacred as a result.
The recording shows that Erdogan’s government was orchestrating an unprecedented military aggression against Syria since last Saturday, when Turkish tanks and artillery shelled the Syrian lands to provide a cover for armed terrorist groups to enter Syria from Turkey which the recordings prove beyond doubt.
Erdoğan’s government was planning a false flag attack to be executed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS) against the tomb of Suleiman Shah in Syria to justify the intervention of the Turkish army in Syria, therefore making an excuse to spark a war.
Suleiman Shah, the grandfather of Osman I, the founder of the Ottoman Empire, was buried in Aleppo. His grave was relocated in 1973, but it remains a Turkish extraterritorial enclave in Syria.
The recording in Turkish is here (see the transcript below):
An anonymous YouTube account presents the recording as being of intelligence chief Hakan Fidan discussing with Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu, Foreign Ministry Undersecretary Feridun Sinirlioğlu, Deputy Chief of Staff Yasar Guler, and other officials–a possible military operation against Syria who, if needed, could create a trumped-up excuse to do so, in coordination between Turkish intelligence and terrorist groups operative in Syria.
Shoebat.com had reported from the ground on March 22 and prior to the attacks, that terrorist groups were training in Orpha, Ghazi Antab and Antioch for such operation:
Sister Hatune tells the story of 19 year old Muhammad A. who decided to defect after seeing his mate blow himself up in a suicide operation in Hidaya Hotel in Qamishlo on March 11, 2014 which killed 3 Christians amongst others. Muhammad, who was designated to be the third to detonate lost hope that a martyr could be with virgins after seeing that the body of his previous suicide martyr colleague did not have his genital parts due to the explosion. … He told Hatune of the training centers in Orfa, Ghazi Antab and Antakia (Antioch) set up by the Turkish government for more terrorists to be sent to Syria.
Turkey is not really fighting ISIS, regardless of anyone says. ISIS is the face of terrorism, and Turkey is the one pulling the strings, only acting as though they are fighting terrorism.
Become an insider!
Sign up to get breaking alerts from Sons of Liberty Media.