On August 17, 1975 Senator Frank Church appeared on NBC’s Meet the Press and issued a stark warning about a certain technology perfected by the intelligence community, which could be used by the US government against its own citizens to create “total tyranny.”
The safeguard, the fail safe that the agencies that possess the technological capacity to impose tyranny operate within the law and under proper supervision has been completely ignored, annihilated by the ruling Democrat party.
“There would be no place to hide.” The technological capacity that the intelligence community has given the government could enable it to impose total tyranny. And there would be no way to fight back because the most careful effort to combine together in resistance to the government, no matter how privately it was done, is within the reach of the government to know. Such is this capability of this technology.”
“I know the capacity that is there to make tyranny total in America and we must see to it that all agencies that possess this technology operate within the law and under proper supervision so that we never cross over that abyss. That’s the abyss from which there is no return.”
That’s the abyss.”
Imagine what the Democrat-goverment-media-axis would do to a Frank Church today.
(hat tip Amil Imani)
In 1975 Church chaired the Senate Select Committee to Study Governmental Operations with Respect to Intelligence Activities, known informally as the Church Committee, which investigated alleged illegal activity by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), and National Security Agency (NSA). Abuses including assassination plots in foreign countries and widespread surveillance and harassment of political activists and public figures in the United States were uncovered. The committee’s recommendations led to reforms such as the creation of congressional committees to oversee intelligence activities and an executive order banning assassinations. (Britannica)
Among the committee’s findings:
The 16-month investigation, which included 126 committee meetings, 40 subcommittee hearings, 150 staff members, and 800 witness interviews, uncovered shocking facts and intelligence operations that had been unknown to both Congress and the public:
- Attempted assassinations of President Fidel Castro of Cuba, President Rafael Trujillo of the Dominican Republic, and Prime Minister Patrice Lumumba of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- COINTELPRO: Covert operations by the FBI to infiltrate and discredit domestic organizations that it considered “subversive.”
- Project Mockingbird: CIA recruitment of journalists to spread propaganda through the media.
- Project MINARET: NSA monitoring, with the cooperation of telecommunication companies, of communications of individuals on its “Watch List,” which included Senator Church, fellow Church Committee members Walter Mondale and Howard Baker, as well as Otis Pike, chair of the House committee investigating the intelligence agencies (known as the “Pike Committee”).
- Project SHAMROCK: Copies of all telegrams going in and out of the United States sent by telecommunications companies to the NSA which then disseminated them to other intelligence agencies.
- HTLINGUAL: The interception and review by the CIA of mail sent to the Soviet Union and China under the guise of foreign intelligence; and the targeting of prominent civil rights leaders such as Martin Luther King Jr.
- Project MKUltra: CIA experiments conducted on American citizens in which high doses of LSD and other drugs were given to see if individuals became more susceptible to brainwashing techniques or interrogation.
- Project MKNaomi: CIA and Army covert operations to develop and stockpile an array of biological agents without the authority of the Congress or president, including poisons in quantities that could kill tens of thousands and offensive weapons capable of delivering them.
We need a Church commission of a few honest men and women. Almost impossible to find in a absolute corrupt state of DC.
Article posted with permission from Pamela Geller
Become an insider!
Sign up to get breaking alerts from Sons of Liberty Media.