The now-former officer was arrested after trying to murder a teenage couple in a McDonald’s parking lot.
San Antonio, TX — Eric Cantu, 17, is currently on life support in a Texas hospital and fighting for his life. Cantu was shot multiple times while he ate a hamburger in a McDonald’s parking lot. His attacker avoided charges for over a week thanks to the thin blue line but late on Tuesday, the now-former officer’s luck ran out. James Brennand has been charged with two counts of aggravated assault by a public official for trying to murder the 17-year-old boy and his underage passenger.
“This was a failure for one individual police officer. It had nothing to do with our policies. Our policies do not allow that. Our training does not teach that,” San Antonio Police Chief William McManus told a news conference to announce the charges. “There is no question in anybody’s mind looking at that video that the shooting is not justified.”
As we reported at the time, Brennand responded to a disturbance call on Oct. 2, at a McDonald’s fast food restaurant. Cantu was not the subject of that call and was peacefully sitting in his car eating a hamburger. Despite the fact that Cantu was sitting in his car, harming no one and eating a hamburger, Brennand decided he was going to attempt to murder the 17-year-old boy just moments after he arrived on the scene.
Brennand claimed that Cantu’s vehicle “evaded” him the week before and called it in as stolen. Despite multiple inquiries from the media, including the Free Thought Project, police have refused to confirm whether or not the vehicle was actually stolen. Rest assured, however, that if was actually stolen, they would have released this information immediately.
“As the officer attempted to gather information from witnesses, he noticed a vehicle that had evaded him the day before as the officer attempted a stop because the registered license plate did not match the actual vehicle,” Capt. Alyssa Campos, the department’s training commander, said in a video statement.
Before waiting for backup to arrive and assist him with an allegedly stolen vehicle, Brennand — who had been on the force for only 7 months — decided to walk up to Cantu’s car by himself. He then opened the door, physically attacked the teen, and tried to pull him from the vehicle.
Not wanting to be kidnapped, Cantu put the vehicle in reverse and tried to get away. Brennand then used this as an opportunity to fill the teenage boy with holes. Cantu made it about a block away before the vehicle stopped and he was rushed to the hospital. The child in the front passenger seat luckily avoided Brennand’s taxpayer-funded lead rounds.
As a means of justifying the attempted murder of an unarmed teenage boy, after filling Cantu with lead, police then charged him. While in the hospital, Cantu was charged with evading detention with a vehicle and assault on a peace officer. Days later, the charges were dropped as the video clearly showed that Cantu was the victim.
“While Sunday’s shooting of an unarmed teenager by a then-San Antonio Police officer remains under investigation, the facts and evidence we have received so far led us to reject the charges against Erik Cantu for further investigation,” Bexar County District Attorney Joe Gonzales said.
After filling the boy with holes, police claimed Cantu was in stable condition but this is not true and his family has released a statement to clarify.
“We’d like to correct any misrepresentations that Erik is in ‘stable condition’ or he is ‘going to be fine.’ That is not true. Every breath is a struggle for Erik. We ask for everyone’s continued prayers for our son,” the family said.
Below is that video.
Article posted with permission from Matt Agorist
Become an insider!
Sign up to get breaking alerts from Sons of Liberty Media.