“When abortion clinics close, lives are saved!” –Troy Newman, President, Operation Rescue
Washington, DC – As pro-life supporters from around the nation gather in Washington, D.C. today to mark the 42nd memorial of the 1973 Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision that decriminalized abortion in the U.S., Operation Rescue announces that two more abortion facilities have permanently closed.
“Today, as pro-lifers, we should be encouraged that our efforts have not been in vain. Abortion clinics are closing in record numbers due to their tireless work of men, women, and young people all across this nation,” said Operation Rescue President Troy Newman. “America is beginning to reject abortion, and that is evidenced in closed clinics and historically low abortion numbers. When abortion clinics close, lives are saved!”
The two abortion facilities that have closed are the Issaquah Health Center Planned Parenthood in Issaquah, Washington, and the Brewster Health Center Planned Parenthood in Brewster, New York. Both facilities offered abortions via the abortion pill and did not conduct surgical abortions.
Below are facts concerning the vanishing abortion clinic trend:
- In the past two years, Operation Rescue has documented the closure of 155 abortion facilities.
- Today, there are 549 surgical abortion clinics in the U.S., compared to 2,176 in 1991.
- Currently, there are 187 clinics that offer abortion by medication only, down from a high of 196 in 2012.
- While abortion numbers are dropping across the board, in states where there have been abortion clinic closures see abortion numbers drop at a greater rate.
Reasons for the closures include:
- The enactment and enforcement of new state laws.
- Increased reporting by pro-life activists of incompetent and/or criminal behavior committed by abortionists.
- Financial struggles within the abortion cartel due to decreased demand for abortions.
- The retirement of abortionists who are not replaced.
Newman and his colleague, Cheryl Sullenger, discuss the trend of closing abortion clinics in their new book Abortion Free, which is a valuable resource for those seeking to end abortion. They also share from their decades of experience practical steps that anyone can take make their own community abortion free.
“We are excited for the future because we can only see the trend of decreased abortion supply and demand continuing,” said Newman. “While today we mourn the 57 million lives lost to abortion in the last 42 years, we are more hopeful than ever that we are very close to ending abortion in this country for good.”
Become an insider!
Sign up to get breaking alerts from Sons of Liberty Media.