My guess is that we won’t really see this story take off in the Obama Administration’s efforts to focus sustained attention on gun control in his final year in office because no one died, though 17 people were injured in a shooting between two groups of people in a New Orleans park on Sunday. I’m also guessing we won’t be hearing much about it nationwide due to the fact that it appears to be a black on black crime.
The Associated Press reports:
The shooting took place at around 6 p.m. local time after approximately 500 people had gathered at Bunny Friend Playground in the city’s 9th Ward to film a music video, the New Orleans Police Department said in a statement. Ambulances took 10 victims to area hospitals, and police later learned that another six victims had been taken to the hospital in private vehicles.
Photos of the scene showed emergency workers wheeling some of the wounded to ambulances on gurneys while other people who appeared to be in pain lay on the ground. No deaths were immediately reported and police had few details on the extent of the victims’ injuries.
Police spokesman Tyler Gamble told the Associated Press that the video was being made without a permit to use the park. He added that police were on their way to break up the crowd when the shooting took place.
New Orleans Police Superintendent Michael Harrison told reporters that officers were a block away from the park when they heard the gunshots and were flagged down by passersby.
Joseph Jordan was inside a house across the street from the park with his friend, who gave her first name as Raven, when they heard gunshots. Later someone called Raven and told her that her niece had been shot. The two rushed to the hospital to check on the 14-year-old, who had been shot three times in the leg.
According to NOLA.com, a seventeenth victim was confirmed by police on Monday morning. Each of the victims were listed in stable condition.
New Orleans police Chief Michael Harrison said that they have not named a suspect, but believes there were multiple shooters.
This is the largest mass shooting in New Orleans since the Mother’s Day second-line shooting, which injured 19.
Mayor Mitch Landrieu said violence like this is “not something you can tolerate in the city.”
The mayor didn’t speak out on the depravity and lawless behavior allowed in the city, which ultimately culminates in Mardi Gras.
Authorities are looking for information about the shooter or shooters. People can submit tips anonymously through Crimestoppers at 504.822.1111 or crimestoppersgno.org.